Ms. Byrd founded Byrd & Associates, PLC in March, 2000, now re-named Byrd & Hood, and is the association’s managing member. Ms. Byrd was born in Nashville, Tennessee. She received her Bachelor of Science in Commerce, Finance concentration, with high honors from the University of Louisville in 1979. After graduation from college and prior to attending law school, Ms. Byrd was a successful businesswoman who owned several diverse businesses, including an Arthur Murray dance franchise and a catering business.
Ms. Byrd graduated with a Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.) from Vanderbilt University Law School where she was on the Deans List. Prior to starting her own firm, Ms. Byrd was an associate with the Williamson County law firm of Petersen and Buerger, later becoming a partner of the re-named firm of Buerger, Moseley, Carson & Byrd, PLC.
Since 2000, Ms. Byrd has been actively involved in alternative dispute resolution. She is certified by the Tennessee Supreme Court as a Rule 31 Family Mediator and Rule 31 Civil Mediator. She has successfully mediated numerous cases, saving litigants the substantial expenses and emotional turmoil of protracted trials.
Ms. Byrd is also certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy as a Certified Family Law Trial attorney. She is the Past President of the Tennessee Family Law Section. She has been elected annually to the Super Lawyers of the Mid-South since 2008. She has been a feature lecturer to family law attorneys in the Certified Family Lawyer, Equitable Divorce Settlements, Child Custody, and other continuing legal education classes. She has been elected a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Since 2013, she has been named annually as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyer Association.
Ms. Byrd practices in the areas of family law and general civil litigation.
- University of Louisville (B.S., with high honors, 1979)
- Vanderbilt University (J.D. 1992)
- National Board of Trial Advocacy, Expert in Family Law Trial Advocacy, 2001
- Williamson County Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association (Member: Litigation and Family Sections, Committee State Mock Trial Competition, 1992-93, Former President of the Family Law Section of the Tennessee Bar Association, Member of the Executive Council of the Family Law Section of the Tennessee Bar Association)
- American Bar Association (Member: Litigation and Family Law Sections)
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- John Marshall American Inns of Court, Charter Member
- Elected to Super Lawyers of the Mid-South, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Named in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2013
CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR:
- Instructor, Family Law Practice Series
- Instructor, Lessons Learned from the Social Sciences
- Instructor, Equitable Divorce Settlements
- Instructor, Custody A-Z
- Instructor, Divorce Litigation from Start to Finish